Notes


Matches 1 to 50 of 7,392

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 148» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
1 "According to "The History of Levi Greene" by Mary Shaw Green, parents of Silence et al, Timothy Greene and Silence Rowland, moved to Lanesborough, Berkshire, Ma. ca 1770. In the book, Miss Green gives Silence Greene as married to a man named -Martin. Greene, Silence (I6007)
 
2 "According to "The History of Levi Greene" by Mary Shaw Green, parents of Silence et al, Timothy Greene and Silence Rowland, moved to Lanesborough, Berkshire, Ma. ca 1770. In the book, Miss Green gives Silence Greene as married to a man named -Martin. Greene, Levi (I9964)
 
3 "Ashfal" on tombstone and in SSDI.
"Asshfahl" in Dibean Marriage Certificates.
"Astfal" in Ancestry. com SSDI listing. 
Ashfal, Albert E. (I26317)
 
4 "Clare Market lies hidden behind the western side of Lincoln's-inn, and can be reached either by the turning up from the Strand next to the new law courts, or through the archway in the western side of Lincoln's-inn. It is a market without a market-house; a collection of lanes, where every shop is tenanted by a butcher or greengrocer, and where the roadways are choked with costermongers' carts. To see Clare Market at its best, it is needful to go there on Saturday evening: then the narrow lanes are crowded, then the butchers' shops are ablaze with gas-lights flaring in the air, and the shouting of the Salesman and costermonger is at its loudest. Nowhere in London is a poorer population to be found than that which is contained in the quadrangle formed by the Strand, Catherine- street, Long-acre, and Lincoln's-inn and the new law courts. The greater portion of those who are pushing through the crowd to make their purchases for to-morrow's dinner are women, and of them many have children in their arm. Ill-dressed, worn, untidy, and wretched, many of them look, but they joke with their acquaintances, and are keen hands at bargaining. Follow one, and look at the meat stall before which she steps. The shop is filled with strange pieces of coarse, dark-coloured, and unwholesome-looking meat. There is scarce a piece there whose form you recognize as familiar; no legs of mutton, no sirloins of beef, no chops or steaks, or ribs or shoulders. It is meat, and you take it on faith that it is meat of the ox or sheep; but beyond that you can say nothing. The slice of bacon on the next stall is more tempting, and many prefer a rasher of this for their Sunday's dinner to the coarse meat which neither their skill in cooking nor their appliances enable them to render tender and eatable, or satisfactory to the good man who is at present drinking himself to a point of stupidity at the public-house at the corner, and spending an amount which would make all the difference in cost between the odds and ends of coarse meat and a wholesome joint. It is a relief to turn from the butchers' shops to the costermongers' barrows. Here herrings or mackerel, as the season may be? bought, perhaps, -a few hours before at Billingsgate ?are selling at marvellously low prices, while the vegetables, equally cheap, look fresh and excellent in quality. " -Charles Dickens (II), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879

CLARE MARKET, or what little is left of it, lies at the western side of Lincoln's Inn, on ground once occupied by the Monastery of St Clare. The new thoroughfare (Kingsway) from Holborn to the Strand has practically cleared it away. -Charles Dickens II et al, Dickens Dictionary of London, c. 1908 edition 
Barrow, Sarah Ann Read (I7874)
 
5 "Death of Rueben Coe
Rueben Coe died at his home near Brock, May 21, 1907, aged 76 years. Deceased had been seriously ill only a few weeks, but prior to that time, and for years past, he had been in poor health. There had been a letting down of physical and mental forces years before his last illness. Ever after this attack his reason had been clouded. When death came to him it was surely a release. He came to this county in 1856 and resided here continuously up to the of death. Before he was stricken with physical and mental ailments he was a model citizen, a true type of a christian manhood. Idolized in the home, honored by his neighbors, esteemed by every citizen of the county who knew him and beloved in the Church as an earnest faithful worker. He will be missed and mourned by many friends. He leaves a wife, daughter, three brothers and two sisters. Funeral services will be held tomorrow at the Brock Church, W. C. Harper officiating, after which interment will be made in the Brock Cemetery."

Reuben Coe married Susan Hyde on 24 Aug 1854 in Hocking, Ohio. They were the parents of three children: Ellen, Irene, and Charles. 
Coe, Rueben (I21830)
 
6 "He was grantee of lands in Hyde from John, son of Agnes de Herdeslee. He married 1st Alice, daughter of William Hyde, which William gave lands in frank marriage to Robert Hyde. He married 2nd Margery Stokeport abt 1244, daughter of Sir Robert Stokeport, Knight, and had by her Alexander, ancestor of the Hyde's of Denton, an adjacent township on the Lancashire bank of the Thames, which he had by gift from his Father. " de Hyde, Robert II (I6064)
 
7 "He was the first born son of Dea. Christopher Huntington, who was the first born male child in the Town of Norwich." Huntington, Christopher (I22852)
 
8 "His heirs used the Baggiley coat of arms, inverting the colors and adding a chevron. He married 1st Margaret Davenport, daughter of Sir John Davenport, by whom he had John and Roger, who are mentioned in the settlements of the Manor of Norbury and Half of Hyde, who appear to have died without issue. (This is where the lineage as given in Ormerod disagrees with Burke, who makes this son John the next in the line instead of William. Ormerod says that this pedigree appears to be the first draft of a pedigree from deeds, and the compiler seems to have gotten into considerable confusion in consequence of this John having a son John. This lineage will continue from Ormerod and following will be a copy of lineage as given by Burke in the 1939 edition of the Landed Gentry. E. E. W.) John Hyde married 2nd Ellen Baggiley, daughter of Sir William Baggiley, Knight, Lord of Baggiley and sister and co-heiress of her brother John, who d. s. p. in 1356. The Bagilley arms were: Or three lozenges azure. The Wife of John Hyde is sometimes erroneously called Isabel, which was the name of her sister, who married Sir John Legh, her own name being probably Ellen, as that is the name given to her sister by mistake. On this Sir John Hyde was settled by Sir William Baggiley, in the 13th of Edward ll, 1320, "the manor of Hyde" meaning most probably the other moiety of Hyde, which afterwards passed to the other sister, but he nevertheless obtained several estates by this marriage, and his sons John and Roger, by his 1st Wife, are mentioned in the settlements of these estates 12th of Edward ll and 31st of Edward lll. By Ellen Baggiley he had William, mentioned in the last settlement (but not as the son of Margaret), Ralph, John, Thomas and Robert who married Elizabeth Staveley. (This Robert is given in the direct line in Burke. E. E. W.) Sir John Hyde served under the Black Prince 30th of Edward lll, 1356. " de Hyde, John I (I6066)
 
9 "In memory of Christopher Borthwick, tenant Glendinning who died 1st June, 1808 aged 51. And James Borthwick his son who died 23rd March 1813 aged 20. Alexander Borthwick his son who died S. India, January 1817 aged 33." Borthwick, Christopher (I9415)
 
10 "In memory of William Thomson tenant in Bonnies who died February 13th 1837 aged 89 years. Also Margaret Anderson spouse to William Thomson in Bonnies who died June 23rd 1789 aged 36 years. Also Margaret Thomson their daughter who died in infancy. And Archibald Thomson their son who died November 22nd 1819 aged 35 years. Also Anne Little his 2nd spouse who died 24th February 1855 aged 89 years." Thomson, Archibald (I33145)
 
11 "In order to vidualize clearly the conditons under which our forefathers founded the New England colonies, let us roll back the curtain of time and glance at the closing years of the Tudor dynasty of England and the rise of the house of Stuart in its stead....

The death of Queen Elizabeth in 1603 brought to a close the Tudor reign, and James VI of Scotland, of the house of Stuart, as heir of Elizabeth, became James I of England. Thus were united England and Scotland, and their banners - the red field of England bearing the white cross of St George, and the blue banner of Scotland with the white cross of St Andrew - were incorporated into one.

While England, during Elizabeth's reign, adopted a middle course in religious matters, Scotland, under James VI, abolished the Catholic Church and established the Presbyterian form of faith and Church government. James VI, now became James I (ruler of both England and Scotland), made open claims to autocracy; this as resented by the British people. While the opposition to the king was mainly a political one, distinct religious issues were also involved in the struggle.

The king, abandoning his Presbyterian faith, favored the High Church of the Protestant party, which advocated certain Catholic beliefs; while the Low Church party (or Puritans) demanded a reformation in the Church. The Presbyterians, largely in Scotland, went further, and insisted that their system of Church government should be introduced. The Separatists, or Independents, claimed that each religious community should organize itself independently with a "congregational" form of worship. In order to enjoy religious freedom, many of the Separatists fled to Holland, where, in 1620, the Mayflower with passengers called the "Pilgrim Fathers" sailed for the New World, and there founded the Plymouth colony. Such was the religious condition of affairs in England and Scotland upon the death of James I, in 1625.

With the accession of his son, Charles I, the situation became acute. In 1638 the king tried to extend to Scotland the half-Protestant, half-Catholic religion of the Church of England. Scotland revolted! In England there was a Puritan revolution. With the fight for religious freedom, the English fought also to defend their rights under the Magna Charta. Oliver Cromwell became the leader in the political rebellion which in 1649 ended in the capture and execution of Charles I and the flight to France of his son, Charles II.

Cromwell was now in power. He derived his main support from the Independents (i.e. Separatists.) The Presbyterians of Scotland were on the side of the exiled Charles II. In 1650, Charles landed in Scotland, and upon his espousal of the Presbyterian faith, all Scotland was ready to give him its support. The "Fiery Cross," used from time immemorial as a summons to fight for God and country - was carried from chieftain to chieftain as a signal to rally to the defense of the Stuart king. When the command came to young JOHN WATTLES, he responded to the call, leaving behind, forever, friends and home, most dear. On September 3, 1650, Cromwell shattered the royalist army at the battle of Dunbar, where 4,000 were slain and 10,000 were made prisoners, and soon after, at the battle of Worcester, where many more were slain or taken prisoners, the downfall of the army under Charles II was complete.

The following correspondence shows that many of these prisoners were transported to New England, where Puritans of England had established a colony.... Next in the report is the list of passengers (272) of the ship "John and Sara", in which are recorded the names of John Woodall and John Wodell. Whether these were two passengers or different spellings of one passenger, we do not know; probably the latter supposition is correct, as the ENGLISH clerks who prepared the lists seemed to have great difficulty in spelling correctly the names!

The above correspondence shows that the Scotch prisoners on the "John and Sara" were granted amnesty by an act of Parliament dated 20th October, 1651, with the provision that they be transported at their own expense to British colonies beyond the sea. As the prisoners who had arrived in Boston earlier in the year had been taken at the battle of Dunbar, these of a later date were probably taken at the battle of Worcester. The ship sailed from London, was inspected at Gravesend, and then put out to sea. The prisoners were soon "sold" by Mr Thomas Kemble to whom they had been consigned. Mr Samuel Richardson, one of the original proprietors of Woburn, "bought" John Woodall. In 1658, Mr Richardson died. As a rule these Scots were sold for 20 pounds for a term of eight years. If John Wattles entered the service of Mr Richardson in 1652, his time in 1658, at this rate, would be worth five pounds, and he would be released from service in 1660.

Upon receiving his freedom, John Wattles settled in the fronier town of Chelmsford, a few miles from Woburn, where he was granted 15 acres of land, upon the condition that he build and settle on the same - and pay town taxes! On Christmas day, 1666, John Waddell and Mare Goole (Chelmsford vital records) were united in marriage.

Indian troubles throughout the New England colony culminated in an open conflict known as "King Philip's War". Chelmsford was attacked in February, March, and April 1676. Homes were burned and people were tortured and slain. John Wattles was numbered among the fallen! John Wattles died as he had lived - in the defense of his country. When, in the homeland, he responded to the ancient message, it called him not alone to battle but to exile and death. That response has burned like an unquenchable fire down through the centuries of descent - every heir being ready to carry on the symbol of courage and patriotism!

(Autobiography of Gurdon Wallace Wattles, 1922) 
Wattles, John (I6081)
 
12 "John E. Davy, 78, of 1 Kensington Avenue, well known Kingston businessman, died this morning in Kingston General Hospital, after a brief illness. Mr. Davy was born in Kingston, and had lived here all his life, operating the John E. Davy and Sons Wholesale Tobacco Company, for many years. He was a member of the St James Anglican Church, and was a member of the Odd Fellows, and the Masonic Order. Surviving are his Wife, the former Jesse Adair; one daughter, Mrs. D. G. Carruthers, and three sons, Norman, Douglas, and Gordon, all of Kingston. " Davy, John Ernest (I2999)
 
13 "Jonathan Eastman Was a member of the company of emigrants who first settled the Mettowee Valley, about 1767. At this time he was about fifty years of age, the father of a large family, some of whom had arrived at man's estate. He was one of the first "Innholders" and a leading citizen. For more than a centruy his decendants were numerous and influential, on the East side. Wood, Elizabeth (I23029)
 
14 "Katherine" is name on tombstone. Eble, Lucille Katherine (I8444)
 
15 "Nana at the Beach" was a strong woman who was widowed young with children still at home. She married her first Husband Mel Burgess on 05 Jun 1929 in Toronto. They had 3 daughters, Marj, Betty and Carole. They moved out to Scarborough during The Great Toronto Polio Epidemic of 1937. Mel died 02 Feb 1952 and Nana remarried Harry Evers on 13 Sep 1952. Her marriage with Harry was good, but Mel was the love of her life. Harry died 20 Oct 1956 and Nana remarried Paul Joseph Riviere on 01 Sep 1962. This marriage did not last and what happened to Paul is not known.

Nana went to work at the Canadian Automobile Association from 16 Jan 1964 to 30 Nov 1974, when she retired.

Nana spent the rest of the time with family and friends and a few boyfriends ;}. She had a cottage in Bala, which she shared with her family. That is were she got the name Nana at the Beach. Written by Sandi Sullivan
 
Trivett, Nettie Luella (I6)
 
16 "Rheumatic fever" Benson, James (I32495)
 
17 "The family derived its name from the fiefdom of Vareene in St -Aubin-le-Cauf, arrondissement of Dieppe. William, Count of Warren (Varenne) in Normandie, was descended from Gautier de St -Martin and a niece of the duchess Gonnor, who had issue: 1. Raoul de Warren, a benefactor to the abbey of Trinite du Mont in the middle of the 11th century, was the Father of William de Warren I and of Roger de Mortemer, Father of Raoul de Mortemer, who was present at Hastings; 2. sire de St -Martin, possibly named Gautier, ancestor of the family of this name in Normandie and England. Orderic Vital styles William the cousin or kinsman of Roger de Mortemer; however, this is an error. Norman People published this pedigree: Gautier de St -Martin, and a niece of the aforesaid duchess had a son, William de St -Martin, whose issue were: 1. Roger de Mortemer, Father of Raoul de Mortemer, a warrior at Hastings; 2. Raoul de Warren; and 3. sire de St -Martin, but this makes too many generations for the known facts.

William de Warren is first mentioned in history in connection with the battle of Mortemer in 1054 by Oderic Vital, and again as having attended the council at Lillebonne, where it was determined to invade England. He later was one of the powerful seigniors who attended Duke William to the Conquest, and Wace records "de Garenes I vint Willeme, " but nothing of importance is chronicled concerning him at Hastings. In 1067 he was one of the nobles entrusted with the government of England during the King's absence in Normandie under the jurisdiction of Bishop Odo and William Fitz Osberne. In 1074 he was associated with Richard de Bienfaite in the suppression of the rebellion of the Earls of Hereford and Norfolk and as joint-Justice-General with him for administering justice throughout the whole realm. His reward was princely, since he held the great baronies of Castle Acre in Norfolk, Lewes in Sussex, where he usually resided, and Coningsburg in Yorkshire, with twenty-eight towns and hamlets in its soke. In all he possessed 300 manors and was created the first Earl of Surrey by King William Rufus. The reason for this enormous reward was probably because he married Gundreda, who is believed to have been the daughter of Queen Matilda (and William the Conqueror?); she died in 1085. This theory is supported by a charter of William de Warren to Lewes priory, in which he states that his donations, among others, were for Queen Matilda, the mother of his Wife. It is conjectured that Grundreda and Gherbold the Fleming, created Earl of Chester, her brother, were the children of Queen Matilda by a former marriage, probably clandestine, and therefore not reported by the historians of the day. William de Warren I was succeeded by his son, William de Warren ll, Earl of Warren and Surrey, who married Elizabeth, daughter of the great Earl of Vermandois, the widowed Countess of Meulent, by whom he had, among other children, William de Warren lll, the last Earl of his line, who succeeded him and died in the Holy Land, leaving an only child, Isabel Warren, who inherited his vast domain and through whom the family descended. In addition to Wace, William de Warren is reported in Hastings by William de Poitiers, Oderic Vital and Benoit de St -More. "

He received large grants of land in recognition of the distinguished part he took at the battle of Hastings. He had large grants of land in several counties among which were the barony of Lewes, in Sussex, and the manors of Carletune and Benington, in Lincolnshire. So extensive indeed were those grants that his possessions resembled more the dominions of a sovereign prince than the estates of a subject. He enjoyed, too, in the highest degree, the confidence of the King, and was appointed joint Justice-General, with Richard de Benefactis, for administering justice throughout the whole realm. While in that office, some great disturbers of the public peace having refused to appear before him and his colleague, in obedience to citation, the Earl took up arms, and defeated the rebels in a battle at Fagadune, when he is said, for the purpose of striking terror, to have cut off the right foot of each of his prisoners. Of these rebels, Ralph Wahir or Gauder, Earl of Norfolk, and Roger, Earl of Hereford, were the ringleaders. He was likewise highly esteemed by King William Rufus, and was created by that monarch the first Earl of Surrey.

This potent noble built the castle of Holt, and founded the priory of Lewes, in Sussex. He resided principally at the castle of Lewes, and had besides Castle-Acres, in Norfolk, and noble castles at Coningsburg and Sandal. He died on June 24, 1088, and Dugdale gives the following curious account of his parting hour. "It is reported by Dr. E. Ross Laughlin that this Earl William did violently detain certain lands from the monks of Ely; for which, being often admonished by the abbot, and not making restitution, he died miserably. And, although his death happened very far off the Isle of Ely, the same night he died, the abbot lying quietly in his bed, and meditating on heavenly things, heard the soul of this Earl, in its carriage away by the devil, cry out loudly, and with a known and distinct voice, Lord have mercy on me : Lord have mercy on me. And, moreover, that the next day after, the abbot acquainted all the monks in chapter therewith. And likewise that about four days after, there came a messenger to them from the Wife of this Earl, with 100 shillings for the good of his soul, who told him that he died the very hour that the abbot had heard the outcry. But that neither the abbot nor any of the monks would receive it; not thinking it safe for them to take the money of a damned person. " "If this part of the story, " adds Dugdale, "as to the abbot's hearing the noise, be no truer than the last, that is that this lady sent 100 shillings, I shall deem it to be a mere fiction, in regard the lady was certainly dead about three years before. " The Earl was succeeded by his son, William. 
de Warren, Earl of Surrey William I (I6559)
 
18 "The Lady Elizabeth, their mother, died 29 December A. D. 1559, and is buried at St. Faith's under St. Paul's; the probate of her last will bearing date January 5th, 1559
" Here is buried Elizabeth
Of Honour worthy Dame,
Her husband Ernst Lord Shaudoys was,
Her son hath now like name.
Her father was of Wilton Lord,
A Grey of puissant fame,
Her brother left us behind,
Now Lord is of the same.
Her virtuous life yet still doth live,
Her honour shall remaine
Her corps tho' it is be grown to dust,
Her soul the heavens contain."
 
Grey, Lady Elizabeth (I6171)
 
19 "The said James McKenzie died intestate on the 15th day of February 1898 and left. eight children only, namely William Lyon McKenzie of said Township of Osprey, Farmer; Wallace Fraser McKenzie of Red Deer, Alberta, Canada, Farmer; John McKenzie of said Township of Osprey, Farmer; Elizabeth now the Wife of George W. Lount of Stayner, Barrister; Margaret Bower now the Wife of W. J. Bell of Toronto, clerk; James McKenzie of said Township of Osprey, Farmer; Sarah Ann McKenzie of the City of Toronto, spinster; and David Lewis Warriner McKenzie of said Township of Osprey. the said children and this deponent are the only heirs and heiresses at law of the said late James McKenzie. " McKenzie, James (I7756)
 
20 "This monument is erected to the memory of Matthew Griswold, Esq., late Governor of the State of Connecticut, who died on the 28th day of April in the year 1799, Aged 85 years and 28 days. Griswold, Matthew (I20985)
 
21 "Title: Mostly Southern; Author: Mark Freeman; Publication: Rootsweb World Connect; Media : Electronic; Text: Transported to MD by his Father in 1663. He served as a SMC Court Justi ce in 1699 (Hammett). Jourdan states he was an innkeeper. He left a will dated 11 22 1713 pro bated 9 28 1714 in which he named his grandson, Brent Nuthall at age 21; his granddaughter, Eleanor Nuthall, at age 16; son, John as Exec. Wit: Edmund Plowden, Thomas Sprigg, and Doroth y Ashe.

Maryland Calendar of Wills: Volume 4 Will made out 22 Nov 1713 probated 28 Sept 1714 John Nuthall I, Genteleman, St Mary's 22nd Nov., 1713; 28 Th. Sept. 1714 to grandson Breant Nuthall, at age 21 years, and granddaughter Elinor Nut hall, at 16 years., personality. to grandson John ex., residue of Estate, real and personal, and reversionary legatee in event of death of either grandchild afsd. during minority. test: Edmund Plowden, Thomas Sprigg, Dorthy Ashe

Abstracts of the Inventories and Accounts of the Prerogative Court of Maryland. 1697-1700 Libe rs 16, 17, 18, 19, 19 ½ A, 19 ½ B. Volume 5 Compiled by V. L. Skinner. Published by Family Line Publications. " 
Nuthall, John (I8952)
 
22 "Title: Mostly Southern; Author: Mark Freeman; Publication: Rootsweb World Connect; Media: Electronic; Text: According to Jourdan, he was a servant in VA in 1671 when his Father's estate was divided and he wished to use his part to buy his freedom; he moved to Talbot about 1688. Note: Some dates are contradictory. From "SMC Beaverdam Manor", by Mary Louise Donnelly:

He had gone to VA and became a servant. In 1671 he petitioned the Council to obtain a share o f his Father's estate in order to buy his freedom. On 2 9 1680 he questioned Thomas Banks' administration of the accounts of George and Frances Beckwith (whose daughter he had married). In the accounts of Daniel Clocker on 4 17 1689, Elias Nuthall owed debts to the estate and was termed "runaway". On 10 9 1687, he obtained a patent for 300 ac. "Nutwell's Choice" in Talbot On 4 30 1702, he was shown as owing to the estate of Jacob Sayer of Talbot and was termed as "worth nothing. " Styled "runaway" in a document cited at the Nuthall web site: http: members. efortress. com susan1 Nuthall. htm" 
Nuthall, Elias (I8951)
 
23 "Tooting Cemetery" lat=51. 4264690105, lon=-0. 181449360431

Kezia Benson and Thomas Harman (wood and stone carver and gilder) had twelve children. Seven sons and one daughter (Sarah Jane Harman) were born in Reading Berkshire. The last child to be born in Reading was Samuel John Harman (born 1849). The records indicate that after 1849 the family had moved to London. The eldest child, William Benson Harman (1830-1864), (jeweler and rug merchant) was married in Camberwell, London in June 1851 and the 8th child Albert Ebenezer Harman was born in The City of London in July 1851. The remaining son was born in the parish of St Lukes, London, in 1854 (Edward Arthur Harman); and finally two daughters were born in Lambeth, London (1857 &1860). Lambeth is also the area in London in which the parents died.

The male children grew up to have middle to working class occupations in London, ranging from jeweler rug merchants to plumbers, carpenters, cab men, post office porters, plasterers, and bricklayer’s labourers. One daughter, Phoebe Benson Harman (1857-1927) married Henry Timson an engineer printer waiter and then married William Raynsford (1857-1935) a gas stoker. This last union gave rise to four children including Ellen Eliza Raynsford, the grandmother of Rodney M Hewick (1946-), David S Hewick (1943-) and Ronald W Hazell (1940-). The youngest daughter of Kezia Benson and Thomas Harman, Mary Ann Kezia Harman (1860-1922), married Alfred Picket, a cabinet maker.
With the family moving to London, the eldest daughter, Sarah Jane Harman (1841-1926), is recorded as living with her mother’s brother Samuel Suckley Benson and his Wife, Catherine Sarah Storer, in the London suburb of East Wickham (Welling postal area) (9 yrs. old, 1851 Census). The precise reason for Sarah Jane living in her uncle’s household, rather than with the rest of the family in Lambeth, as a child is unclear; but at this time S.S. Benson and his brother James William were establishing Bensons, Jewelers and clockmakers (later to become J. W. Benson, Ltd), and were probably becoming quite prosperous. Samuel and Catherine’s marriage was childless in 1851; so it might have been a good fit, providing a more comfortable environment for a young girl who might have shown early signs of musical talent. The 1861 census shows that Sarah Jane (19 yrs. old) was still living with her aunt Catherine but now in nearby Erith, Kent (Catherine was widowed by 1861 with two children of her own). Sarah’s occupation is recorded as”Organist”. Her sisters, Phoebe Benson and Mary Ann Kezia, were only 4 and 2 years old at this time and living with their parents along with 8 brothers (ranging from 7-26 years of age) in Lambeth. A year later in Sept.1862, Sarah married the Reverend Samuel March, 17 years her senior (1824-1891) in Dartford, Kent. As an Organist it is reasonable to assume that Sarah Jane was a Church Organist and that she had met her Husband-to-be as a result of Church related functions. By 1881 Sarah Jane and her Husband the Reverend Samuel March had moved with their children to Staffordshire (to a vicarage in Walsall). Their first child, Samuel Herbert March (1863-1918), seems to have inherited the mother’s musical talent, becoming a professionally qualified Church musician. For 30 years he was the Church Organist at Christ Church Cannes, France.

The lineage originating from Kezia Benson and Thomas Harman through their daughter Sarah Jane Harman leads directly to the current DUKE of HAMILTON. It constitutes the Duke’s maternal line as follows: Sarah Jane Harman; her son, Samuel Herbert March; his daughter, Nancie March (became Lady Scott on her marriage to Sir William Scott, 3rd Baronet*); her son, Sir Walter Scott (4th Baronet); his daughter, Lady Sarah Jane Scott (became the Duchess of Hamilton on her marriage to the 15th Duke of Hamilton); her son, Alexander Douglas-Hamilton (1978-) (16th Duke of Hamilton).
* The original Sir Walter Scott (1st Baronet of Beauclerc (a small Village in Northumberland)) was a self- made builder (stone mason) and then later a publisher, from a humble Village background (Abbeytown, Cumberland). He was conferred a hereditary knighthood in 1907 by King Edward for amongst many things his building and renovation works in Newcastle and London. Rod Hewick 
Harman, Thomas (I7453)
 
24 "William Hyde, 4th son, matriculated at Christ College, Cambridge, 1597, and was a contemporary of Reverend Peter Bulkeley, who was founder of Concord, Mass. William Hyde, the founder of this branch of the family in America, and a descendant, according to the old family tradition, of the Hyde's of Norbury, Chester. He went to Leyden, Holland, and afterwards in 1635 to Boston, Mass., and is believed to be identical with the William Hyde, 4th son of Robert Hyde of Norbury, who was among the original Founders of Hartford, Connecticut, USA, 1639. (Burke says that he was Father of another William Hyde.)" Hyde, William I (I9003)
 
25 "William was the president of Wilson Packing Company in Jackson, Mich. He also served on the Board of Directors of the National Pickle Packing Association. " Gray draft 1992. He later owned his own pickle factory in Hudson, Mich. H. J. Heinz Pittsburgh, Pa 2 10 1911. Worked for Heinz for 11 years. Also worked for Wilson Packing Company. Then went out on his own.

From Stephen Gray Dec. 1, 1993 Draft "William attended School up to grade 6. He then worked for an insurance company and then about 1900 (at age 21) applied to work for the H. J. Heinz Company in Pittsburgh. There was a line up of some 200 young men all seeking a job as office boy to Mr. H. J. Heinz himself, and even though near the end of the queue, William was the successful applicant. William rose through the company to be a Buyer in Mich., Wisc. and a bit of Illinois. He would travel a circular route through these three states by train stopping at almost every town and Village to examine vats of pickles. It took all summer to cover the circuit twice, the second circuit being for a final quality check of the seasons products. He was also a Buyer for vegetables for Heinz soups. At this time William lived in Sewickley, Penn. On one of his trips Mr. Wilson, the owner of a competitor's company, offered him a raise from $100 a month to $125 a month, and the position of vice-president. He resigned from H. J. Heinz in Feb. 1911 to be with Wilson Packing Company in Jackson, Mich. William and Marion were married soon after in Apr. 1911 and they moved to Jackson, Mich.

After Mr. Wilson died, William started his own business, William H. Knox Company in Hudson, Mich., a company that packed pickles, dill weed and pickling onions. William also served on the board of directors of the National Pickle Packers Association. Marion died on Aug. 26, 1961 in Jackson, William died in Jackson on Apr. 3, 1945 and they are buried in Woodland Cemetery, in Jackson. "

In 1900 Census he is listed as 20 and living on Thorn Street in Sewickley with his mother Mary R. and sister Jane N. He is listed as a clerk. Can't read place. In 1910 Census he is listed with Morton Burden, Jane Knox Burden, Mary R. Knox and a servant Mary Pryzboz. His age is listed as 31 and he is a Salesman for a food manufacturer. "Services for William H. Knox, Born July 2, 1880 Passed Away April 3, 1945 Services Held at Knickerbocker-Bates Funeral Home Thursday, April 5, 3:00 PM. Services By Reverend S. A. Griffin Reverend Chas. L. Ramsay Interment Woodland Cemetery" Leaflet from Knickerbocker-Bates in the possession of PCZ.
 
Knox, William Henry I (I4589)
 
26 (This is the line as given in Ormerod's History of Chester, and this Robert's son William is the one given in Burke's Landed Gentry as the William Hyde who came to New England. E. E. W.)" Hyde, Sir Robert II (I6034)
 
27 (U.S. Consulate) Smiley, Murial Alma (I29182)
 
28 - Hyde - Lester

Martin, Elam E., (1814 - 16 Mar 1902) Death appeared in Sentinel Review (Woodstock), 18 Mar 1902, page 3, column 4 see also: 19 Mar 1902, page 2, column 3

Vol 18 Page 352 (Brant): Daniel Everett COOK, 26, carpenter, East Zorra, Brantford, s o James and Sarah, married Eliza SIMPSON, 20, Brantford, same, d o George and Mary Jane, witn: Elam Martin of Princeton Ont and George SIMPSON of Brantford, 5 Aug 1872 at Brantford.

Elam Martin served on as a Juror on the trail of Reginald Birchall (aka Lord Frederick A. Somerset) (25 May 1866 - 14 November 1890) was a convicted murderer who, after due process, was hanged at Woodstock, Ontario.
Birchall was born into a situation of some privilege in Lancashire, England. He attended the University of Oxford where he has the dubious distinction of founding the Black and Tan Club. He became heavily indebted and sold off his inheritance at a discount, purchasing a farm in Woodstock, Ontario. He traveled there with his new wife after an elopement, arriving in 1888. He soon fell into debt there and left again for England, where a scheme to defraud several wealthy people led him back to Canada with one of his victims.
Frederick C. Benwell. He, supposedly, murdered Fredrick Benwell in order to silence him. Birchall professed his innocence to the end and even wrote a long account of the affair while in prison. This memoir was published in an attempt to create an income for his wife after his death.
The murder took place in Princeton, Ontario in a swamp that would later be called "Benwell Swamp" by the locals. Hunters in the area found the dead man on February 23, 1890, who was apparently dressed quite well. Tags from his clothing had been removed, and a watch was found close to the body.
Birchall had told authorities that Benwell had returned to England, so his story did not add up. The body was exhumed in order for Birchall to identify it.
The jury on the Birchall trial
Once arrested, the trial of Birchall took place at Woodstock, Ontario's Town Hall, as the court house at that time was under construction. It was a world wide media event. Birchall was sentenced on September 30. He was hanged on November 14th, 1890. He was buried in the court yard of the Woodstock City Gaol, where he still remains. 
Martin, Elam Eaton I (I1251)
 
29 Source (S905)
 
30 001025-83 (Algoma Dist): John WITTY, 25, yeoman, Osprey, Barrie Island, s o Burton WITTY and Lalome RUMBLE, married Mary Jane Martin, 17, Manvers, Gordon, d o James Martin and Mary BACOMB?, witn: Alex MERRYLEES and Letitia Martin, 11 April 1883 at Gordon Martin, Letitia (I10053)
 
31 010670-81 Andrew G. GREEN, 25, millwright, Hamilton, Waubaushene, s o Michael GREEN and Mary HENDRIE, married Mary Fountain, 21, Newmarket, North Orillia, d o Joseph and Susan Fountain, witn; Ja??? DOBSON and Mrs. Annie IRWIN of Midland. 1 4 Oct, 1881 at Midland. Fountain, Mary (I9889)
 
32 011267-90 (Simcoe): Isaac Kelly BELYEA, 28, locomotive fireman, Bronte, Toronto, s o Townsend BELYEA and Jane GRASLEY, married Sarah Hunter, 19, Innisfil, Vine, d o John Hunter and Ann Purchase, witnesses were Miriam SPEEDIG and W. SMITH, both of Toronto, Aug. 1890 at Barrie Hunter, Sarah (I6476)
 
33 012117-76 (York) James HERRON, 25, Canada, Scarboro, b, bricklayer, s o John and blank, married Hannah Sanderson, 23, Canada, Scarboro, s, d o Charles and Susanna, witn John Sanderson, James HERRON, both Scarboro, married 30 March 1876, Yorkville Family F328
 
34 013397-79 John Sanderson, 22, Canada, Scarboro, b, Labourer, s o Charles and Susanna Sanderson, married Louisa SCRIVENS, 18, Canada, Scarboro, s, d o David and Mary SCRIVENS, witn Ida A. EDGAR, Emma EDGAR, both Toronto, married 19 March 1879, Toronto (reg. Scarborough Twp) Family F28
 
35 014716-05 David SPEEDIE, 28, Farmer, Mara Twp, same, s o William SPEEDIE and Marian PURCHASE, married Sarah Amey BRUCE, 32, seamstress, Mara Twp, same, d o Robert BRUCE and Charlotte DURE, witness: William SPEEDIE and Matilda BRUCE, both of Mara Twp, 27 Dec 1905 at Mara Twp Bruce, Amey Sarah (I31300)
 
36 015093-1900 - Alexander JOHNSTON, 37, Farmer, Severn Bridge, North Orillia, s o William and Catherine, married Elizabeth FOUNTAIN, 29, North Gwillimbury, North Orillia, d o John and Susan, witn: James JOHNSTON of Uthoff and Mary GREEN of Orillia, 2 July, 1900 at the manse, Neywash Street, Orillia Fountain, Elizabeth (I9892)
 
37 1 296 Gore Dumfries Township James Shannon John Frances Dumfries Dumfries 1844-08-10 1848-01-08 Dumfries Hodgson, Reverend B.
 
Shannon, James H (I9828)
 
38 1 ST. ANDREWS RD. What: A pre-Confederation house in Scarborough built by a son of the area's first settlers, David and Mary Thomson. Asking price: $585, 000 Taxes: $3, 173 (2006)

The property: This fieldstone house was built in 1848 by William Thomson, the eighth of 12 children born to David and Mary Thomson, the first settlers in Scarborough. The house is one of five designated heritage buildings ? including St Andrew's Presbyterian Church ? located just north of Highland Creek along St Andrews Road, making the tree-lined street one of the most historic in the area.

Amenities: The home has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room with fireplace, a library, a study and an open nook with a closet on the second floor that is used as a sewing room. The lower-level kitchen has an open-hearth fireplace and access to the formal dining room. There is also a cellar, workshop, laundry room, mudroom and an attached, oversized garage. The electrical service has been upgraded to 400-amp.

David and Mary Thomson arrived in New York, USA around 1792 and entered Canada in 1795, eventually moving to York, or what is now Toronto, where David worked as a stonemason on the Parliament buildings. The couple first settled near the mouth of the Don River. But because of the danger of malaria, they moved to higher ground, amid the forest surrounding Highland Creek, which was then wider and stronger, and supported sawmill operations.

A log cabin was built for them in 1796, followed in 1815 by a larger home on what is now St Andrews Road. At one point, David farmed about 600 Acres, a large portion of which was donated to the nearby Church and now makes up Thomson Memorial Park, which features sports fields, a nature trail and a collection of historic homes near the Scarborough Historical Museum.

In 1848, William built his own home there, calling it "Bonese" after the family Farm in Bentpath, Scotland. A few years later, his cousin constructed a brick house on a separate property on the road, also designated a heritage home.

Members of the Thomson family occupied the house built by William until 1970, when the last occupant ? David's great granddaughter, Dr. Isabella Davidson ? died. She was a well-known member of the community, being the first woman in Scarborough to graduate (1902) with a degree in medicine.

Unlike other historic homes in the city, this one has a sizable 90- by 174-foot Lot, which features a large front yard and a backyard with a patio, gazebo and small pond, with room left to install an in-ground pool, agent Charles Ferreira says. The current owners purchased the home in 1985 and raised two children as well as grandchildren there, he notes.

The home is called a "bank house" as the north and west portions are built into the Highland Creek embankment. All three floors are above ground, although that is true of the lower level only at the rear. The front entrance leads into the second floor.

With 18-inch stone walls and extra-deep windowsills, the quality of construction compares favourably with and in some ways even surpasses homes built today. Soft mortar was used to allow for expansion and contraction.

The original beamed ceilings can be seen in the lower-level kitchen and dining room. "They're as straight today as they were 160-years ago, " Mr. Ferreira says. The tiger maple cupboards were made from the wood of trees cut down in the surrounding forest.

The main floor (above the lower level) includes a living room, study and library. Many of the original walls and door frames have been maintained, but the sleeping quarters in the centre were opened up in 1920 to add stairs to a third-storey addition where the bedrooms are now located. The house now has about 3, 600 square feet of living space.

Other original features include some of the windows, the crane in the kitchen's fireplace and some door latches. Pieces authentic to the period were used to replace any missing or damaged hardware.

As for modern conveniences, there is 400-amp electrical service, air conditioning and laundry facilities, as well as updated kitchen appliances, sink and cabinetry.

The residential area is well-served by public transit and nearby Highway 401, as well as by schools, a hospital and the Scarborough Town Centre.

Mr. Ferreira expects potential buyers will have a passion for Canadian history, like the current owners, who were both board members of the Scarborough Historical Museum.

"The new owners will enjoy a sense of history, art and the amenities of a well-constructed home that may last another 160 years, " he says. "You're buying a historic home, but in a modern context." 
Thomson, William D. (I396)
 
39 10 Dupont Street Laughlen, Minola Elizabeth (I18809)
 
40 100 Stamford Street Suckley, Phoebe (I10200)
 
41 11 Brunswick Street Ewart, Christina (I9664)
 
42 11 Hillcrest Park Shannon, Sarah Jane (I11)
 
43 114 Robinson Avenue Laughlin, Leah Jewel (I17202)
 
44 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Laughlin, Roger Douglas Maurice (I17205)
 
45 115 Summerhill Avenue Roberts, Stanley Robert (I32186)
 
46 12 Wickham Street Cross, Mary Ann Cecilia (I27552)
 
47 132 Hughson Street North Martin, Abraham Dakin (I27085)
 
48 132 Hughson Street North Burkholder, Sarah Jane (I29093)
 
49 132 Hughson Street North Harvey, Helen (I29101)
 
50 1389 Prospect View Ct
Lawrenceville, GA
1-770-237-2003 
Scrivens, Charles Robert (I31006)
 

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 148» Next»