Saint Matthew on-the-Plains Anglican Church, Burlington, Halton, Ontario, Canada


Latitude: 43.30944412339154, Longitude: -79.8470459640157
Saint Matthew on-the-Plains Anglican Church

Notes:
Lots 5 & 6, Broken Front Concession, East Flamborough Township
(Previously part of East Flamborough Township, Wentworth County until it was annexed by the City of Burlington, Halton Region, in 1962.)

The church of St Matthew on-the-Plains began in 1849 when Aldershot pioneer families began meeting in their homes for worship. The original church building was built in 1861 on a parcel of land donated by the Wyatt family. The church was often referred to as Wyatt's Chapel-of-Ease as people would often stop by on their way to Hamilton.

The current parish hall was built in 1953 with the help of members of the church who volunteered many hours. The original white wooden church was enlarged in 1954. In 1965, the church was razed and a new modern brick church building was erected to accommodate the influx of people into the once rural area of Aldershot. In 2004, a new expansion was added making the church facilities completely accessible.

Many early pioneers of the area are buried here; some of the family names are Fonger, Gallagher, Rasberry, Read and Wyatt.


Cemetery Photos

   Thumb   Description 
1
Kimber, Francis Smith Grave Stone
Kimber, Francis Smith Grave Stone