Cattedrale di San Martino, Lucca, Toscana, Italy


Latitude: 43.84042066176534, Longitude: 10.50569236278534
Cattedrale di San Martino

Notes:
Cattedrale di San Martino, Lucca, (Lucca Cathedral, Cathedral of St Martin)is a church in Lucca, Italy. It was begun in 1063 by Bishop Anselm (later Pope Alexander II).
Of the original structure, the great apse with its tall columnar arcades and the fine campanile remain. The nave and transepts of the cathedral were rebuilt in the Gothic style in the 14th century, while the west front was begun in 1204 by Guido Bigarelli of Como, and consists of a vast portico of three magnificent arches, and above them three ranges of open galleries adorned with sculptures.
In the nave a small octagonal temple or chapel shrine contains the most precious relic in Lucca, the Volto Santo di Lucca or Sacred Countenance. This cedar-wood crucifix and image of Christ, according to the legend, was carved by his contemporary Nicodemus, and miraculously conveyed to Lucca in 782. Christ is clothed in the colobium, a long sleeveless garment. The chapel was built in 1484 by Matteo Civitali, the most famous Luccan sculptor of the early Renaissance.


Cemetery Photos

   Thumb   Description 
1
Bertha de Aries Grave
Bertha de Aries Grave
 
2
de Arundel, Richard FitzAlan and Eleanor de Beaumont Grave Tomb
de Arundel, Richard FitzAlan and Eleanor de Beaumont Grave Tomb