Mount Hope Cemetery, Rochester, Monroe, New York, USA


Latitude: 43.12970, Longitude: -77.61940
Mount Hope Cemetery

Notes:
Mount Hope Cemetery was formally dedicated on October 3 1838 on 40 acres of ground purchased from Silas Andrus. Today it covers almost 200 acres and has over a third of a million permanent residents including many of Rochester's most prominent pioneers, inventors, politicians and industrialists. It is one of America's oldest active municipal burial grounds, continuing to grow at a rate of 200-300 burials per year. It is a geologically diverse site with dramatic natural features formed during the post-Ice Age melt, and is a haven for wildlife which is demonstrated most dramatically in early Fall when it turns into a natural rookery and the trees are dark with the roosting birds. There is a wide variety of trees and plants on the grounds, some of which date back to the 1850's when the adjacent Ellwanger & Barry Nursery donated many of its hybrids and specialty plants to the cemetery. Joggers, walkers, picnickers and tourists alike are welcome to enjoy the park-like atmosphere as long as cemetery rules, posted at all entrances, are respected.