Old Cemetery #01, Buckland, Franklin, Massachusetts, USA


Latitude: 42.59186, Longitude: -72.79069
Old Cemetery #01

Notes:
Old Cemetery Number One
"G.R.2" in Mass. Vital Records to 1850 [tan books] referred to as "Buckland Center Cemetery," "Mary Lyon Cemetery," and/or "Church Cemetery."
located on the east side of the First Congregational Church of Buckland,[organized in 1785], commonly known as the Mary Lyon Church.
This cemetery borders Cross Street on the south; accessible from the church's Upper Street driveway on the west.
Rows run north/south, stones face east/west with carvings on nearly all stones being on the west facing side.
At its northern boundary, this cemetery borders Cemetery #03's southeast boundary.
According to The History of Buckland 1779-1935 by Fannie Shaw Kendrick, this is the first cemetery in town, part of the land deeded in 1799. Kendrick writes that burials took place here as early as 1777. The grounds are maintained by the Town of Buckland.


Cemetery Photos

   Thumb   Description 
1
Hubbard, Joseph Grave Stone
Hubbard, Joseph Grave Stone
 
2
Lathrop, Arabell Hubbard Grave Stone
Lathrop, Arabell Hubbard Grave Stone