St James Cemetery, Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Latitude: 43.67060, Longitude: -79.36798
St James Cemetery

Notes:
The original St. James cemetery, adjacent to the Cathedral at King and Church streets in downtown Toronto, originally granted in 1797, was becoming too crowded, and the decision was taken to open the ‘new' St. James Cemetery. St. James Cemetery and Crematorium was officially opened in 1844 and is now the oldest continually operating cemetery in the City of Toronto.

Now, after almost 160 years, St. James is being completely modernized, and prepared for the next 100 years. Here among some of the oldest and most famous personages of Ontario, a 140
year old Chapel serves the families of St. James as a consecrated place for services, as well as housing Ontario's second busiest Crematorium in the ground level.