Headstones

» Show All    

Loading...





Kimber, Francis Smith Grave Stone



Status: Located

File nameKimber, Elinor Francis Smith Grave Stone.jpg
File Size1.32m
Linked toKimber, Elinor Frances

Saint Matthew on-the-Plains Anglican Church, Burlington, Halton, Ontario, Canada

Notes: Lots 5 & 6, Broken Front Concession, East Flamborough Township
(Previously part of East Flamborough Township, Wentworth County until it was annexed by the City of Burlington, Halton Region, in 1962.)

The church of St Matthew on-the-Plains began in 1849 when Aldershot pioneer families began meeting in their homes for worship. The original church building was built in 1861 on a parcel of land donated by the Wyatt family. The church was often referred to as Wyatt's Chapel-of-Ease as people would often stop by on their way to Hamilton.

The current parish hall was built in 1953 with the help of members of the church who volunteered many hours. The original white wooden church was enlarged in 1954. In 1965, the church was razed and a new modern brick church building was erected to accommodate the influx of people into the once rural area of Aldershot. In 2004, a new expansion was added making the church facilities completely accessible.

Many early pioneers of the area are buried here; some of the family names are Fonger, Gallagher, Rasberry, Read and Wyatt.

Saint Matthew on-the-Plains Anglican Church

Cemetery Photos

   Thumb   Description 
1Kimber, Francis Smith Grave Stone Kimber, Francis Smith Grave Stone
 

» Show All